De : Bill Allen [mailto:t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Envoyé : December 12, 2008 1:25 PM
À : seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Objet : RE: friction angle of saturated soil.

Based on some recent research I've done due to a project I'm working on (a submerged retaining wall), I didn't find anything quantitative but I did find something qualitative. Based on this research, I found that the angle of internal friction (φ) is reduced by about half for granular materials. If that's the case, then the angle of repose would be 45o- φ/2/2. So, let's say φ = 26 o. The angle which would resist uplift would be 90-26/2 or 77 o from horizontal. Don't forget, the resisting weight won't be as much either when you consider buoyancy. All in all, I don't think you will gain that much resistance, but if you are not that far off in the first place, maybe it's enough.

Good luck,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers