RE: Square notch on wf beams

Marlou,

Probably a bad idea. But what constitutes sharp corner? If less than 90 degrees, then try changing cut out from square to trapezoidal, with corners have angle greater than 90 degrees.

Though surprised that the corner isn’t curved since, I believe normal practice would be to drill the corner, then cut into the corner to avoid over cut.

I don’t believe welding a plate over the notch will remove the stress concentration problem and low fatigue strength problem, if the notch still remains.

Regards

Conrad Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust

Adelaide