From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 7:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Radiant Floor System on Plywood Subfloor

I agree you should see what the APA has to say.

I am still unclear, are the radiant tubes in a gypcrete topping on top of the subfloor, are they in a warmboard type subfloor, subfloor plus tubes/plywood sandwich,  or a staple-up type radiant, what is the finish floor?

I would think that a manufacturer of a radiant flooring system would provide strict specifications for the entire assembly. Some systems can deliver water at up to 140 degrees F.  Dry installtions require higher water tempurature. It is my understanding that a 140 degee water tempurature will not adversley effect the plywood subfloor, but it may have an effect on the finish wood flooring or mastic type adhesives. Big, fast temperature changes in humid conditions can effect the finish wood flooring. Therefore there may be limitations on the type of wood, plank size or you may need an engineered laminated wood flooring that is made for such a use. Another issue with tubes directly under finish wood flooring is that it does not distribute the heat as well and may have localized hot spots.