Re: Topped Hollow Core Slab and CMU Wall Construction

From what I recall, the wall is generally done first...but engineering-wise it should not matter...it would be more of a construction sequencing decision.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Dec 26, 2008, at 8:59 PM, "Rich Lewis" <seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> wrote:

I doing a topped hollow core slab with CMU bearing walls. I’m wonde ring when the topping is installed. Is it before the next story CMU walls are constructed or after? I started detailing it as the topp ing is placed prior to the CMU wall construction, but now I’m having 2nd thoughts. If the topping is put on first then the next story w alls bear on the topping. If the wall goes up first then the CMU be ars directly on the plank. I don’t think it matters for the strengt h of the hollow core slab because the moment is small at the ends an d the topping does not help in shear at the ends. It seems to me it is a matter of construction sequencing. My guess is that the 2nd f loor wall will proceed before the topping is placed.

Have I made correct assumptions, or should I keep the details with the wall bearing on the topping?

Thanks.

Rich