component and cladding vs MWFRS

Not to start a long-“winded” discussion on this subject, as it has been discussed and argued ad nauseam on the list before, but I thought I would share this info I just came across.

I am working on some required CEUs for my Florida PE, and in the course they do a case study and one of the items the engineer got in trouble for was related to the wind loading for roof members, “Components such as roof framing members and their connections must also be designed for ‘Component and Cladding Wind Loads’.”

So we can academically or theoretically have lots of discussions on the subject, but it is pretty clear how the Florida Board is interpreting this issue.

Regards and happy holidays!

Andrew Kester, PE

Orlando, FL