RE: Paying for clarification

Drew:

The only problem has been, with the slowdown in the Chicago construction
industry, the number of permit applications has dropped to near ZERO, so
more and more frequently, the City is denying the use of structural peer
review to keep the municipal
Examiners busy.

Or worse, when approval IS granted by the structural peer review, if things
are "slow" at the building department, the project can be "audited" by the
City even though its been "approved", so you are back to round(s) of inane
comments.

The ultimate in irony: in a time where the economy is in
recession/depression (take your pick), the City plan reviewers are taking
even longer to make their comments as they want to keep a backlog of
projects on their desk and protect their jobs.

I certainly can sympathize with someone trying to keep their gig, but the
overall effect
Is more detrimental as an already slow process grinds to a halt.

Today's story from the last recession (1992):

I was a "green behind the ears" engineer at a large A/E firm in Chicago and
things got so slow, that I told the draftsmen (remember those...pencil on
mylar, no less) to draw a sheet of details and then erase the whole thing
and re-draw it so that they could appear busy and not get laid off.

Of course, that tactic doesn't fly in today's age when you can erase a whole
sheet with one mouse click.

Lot longer with a mechanical eraser.

David L. Fisher SE PE

Fisher and Partners - Cayman