Re: Paying for clarification

Dear List Members,

I am posting this on behalf of Dr. S. K. Ghosh and Susan Dowty of S. K. Ghosh Associates Inc.

We were made aware of a couple of posts on the SEAINT list serve that mentioned our names and we read these posts carefully.  We appreciate that Dennis Wish indicated his comments were not directed against us, but he did have some issues with codes and code-related publications and seminars, which are near and dear to our hearts.  We have had heated discussion amongst ourselves about some of the same things Dennis wrestles with and have sometimes had to agree to disagree.  After reading the posts, we have decided to put together an article addressing these issues and hopefully offering some solutions.

One thing we'd like to point out in the interim is that we try and post as much free information as we can on our website (www.skghoshassociates.com) that is helpful in understanding the code provisions.  We have been writing Code Simple articles since April 2005 for the Structural Engineer magazine and have posted these articles specifically written to demystify difficult-to-understand code topics.  Many engineers have told us that they tear the pages out and, assemble them in a binder and find them very helpful.  In addition to Code Simples, we have numerous other articles posted that have appeared in ICC's Building Safety Journal, Structures magazine, the PCI Journa, and other sourcesl.  Most recently a series of articles has been posted that may be of interest:  Significant Changes to ACI 318-08, Parts 1, 2 and 3.

We were disappointed to find out that Mr. Garner has an "unresolved i$$ue with S.K. Ghosh" and we would invite him to contact us and let us know how we can resolve it.  We always welcome any suggestions as to how we can be a better resource for those seeking information on the code.  Our email addresses are: skghosh(--nospam--at)aol.com  and dowtyskga(--nospam--at)cox.net .

We look forward to completing our article, having it published, and moving closer to achieving our company's goal of effecting changes that will make the lives of code users easier.

S.K. Ghosh

Susan Dowty

S.K. Ghosh Associates Inc.