RE: Lateral Stability of a Box Beam ?

Does you architect hate square sections?
If not, CL=1.0 for square or nearly square sections --> No need to make a box beam.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.

From: Bill Allen [mailto:t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Lateral Stability of a Box Beam ?

I have a situation requiring two beams, approximately 12" apart spanning about 27 feet. They aren't supporting much more than their own weight, but I'm concerned that if I just use the span as the unbraced length, the beams are going to be very large.

I would like to put plywood top and bottom to increase the effective lateral torsional strength. Is there a good reference in determining the capacity of such an assembly in wood?

Thank you,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers