RE: Fire Wall Connection

Connect the wall to each structure using Nylatron bolts. A ceramic/plastic composite material that "melts" at 500 degrees, or almost 1/2 the temperature that steel starts to deform. The material has high shear capacity and is ideal for collector force connection to the wall.

________________________________

From: seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com [mailto:seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Fri 1/23/2009 11:52 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: Fire Wall Connection

I know this has been addressed in previous messages.  Unfortunately I'm
having trouble searching the SEAInt archives.  Every time I put in a
search, no matter which radio button I push, it does a general web search
and not an exclusive archive search.

I have a 2 story steel framed building with a masonry fire separation wall.
 IBC 702 definitions requires the wall to stand if the structure on either
side of the wall collapses.  Ideally I would like to use the fire wall as a
shear wall for one side of the wall.  I realize this may not be practical.
I'm wondering if someone has developed a detail for attaching to the wall
as a shear wall but breaking away when needed for a fire event.

I have seen someone else use a detail where they bolted an angle to the
face of the wall and welded a smooth stud to the bottom of the outstanding
leg.  They then welded a horizontal plate from the steel beam that had a
hole in it for the stud to slide up and down.  If the beam went down far
enough the stud pulled out of the hole.  The idea is interesting, but I
think it has a flaw.  If the beam is pulled horizontal, say towards the
center of collapse, it still pulls horizontally on the wall.  I thought
maybe using a slot perpendicular to the wall instead of a hole, to let the
beam pull away, yet have resistance for a shear wall force, but I guess I
can't guarantee the beam would only be pulled in that direction due to a
collapse.

Can anyone describe to me a better detail?

Thanks for your help.

Rich

*   site at: http://www.seaint.org <http://www.seaint.org/>

<<winmail.dat>>