From: Bill Allen <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:15 am
Subject: RE: IBC Section 1908.1.16 is a bugger

Yes, I am in California.

I am referring to structural components, specifically hold downs in residential shear walls in remodels.

One plan checker I am currently dealing with won't even let me use 2,500 psi concrete. The Simpson program will not work for 2,000 psi concrete. I don't think the plan checker could tell me the difference between 2,000 psi concrete and 2,500 psi concrete except for a number in a specification. Both are uninspected.

I asked him if he knew where the 2.5 factor came from. He said "Yes. It came from the code".

Doh!

Yes, he's a S.E.

Sigh...

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.