Re: Facing mistakes in structural design

You got me!
Gary

David Topete wrote:
It's a quote from a movie.  Guess the movie.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM, David Topete <d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com <mailto:d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com>> wrote:

    "What's a widget?"

    On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc.
    <design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca <mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca>> wrote:

        Toot away. We all need those feel good moments to compensate
        for those other times when you wake up in the middle of the
        night and say did I forget to framitize the widget.
        Gary

        Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com <mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:

            IIRC it was a grad student, and since this was 20+/- yrs
            ago they're probably at the top of their profession by now.

            My memory is that the critical thing is that the Citicorp
            building has only 4 columns around the perimeter, but
            they're not at the corners, they're in the middle of each
            side.  The design, again IIRC, was based on analyses in
            the X-X and Y-Y directions, but not in the diagonal
            direction, which is what the student caught.

            Not to toot my own horn, but in 1965 or '66, on my very
            first engineering job, I was figuring the loads due to a
            four-legged traveling crane and I came to the conclusion
            that diagonal forces controlled, just as they did in the
            Citicorp building's columns.

            Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
            Richmond CA USA

            In a message dated 1/29/09 7:30:58 PM,
            seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com
            <mailto:seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> writes:

                I'm wondering who that student was and what is he/she
                doing today?

                Rich