RE: Codes comparison

I am curious: Why is there a reference to UBC-97 when it is so outdated. Any company that is ISO 9000 certified is required to use latest codes. It surprises me that several equipment vendors have not revised their software or spreadsheets to be in line with IBC or ASCE 7 procedures.

Rajendran

--- On Thu, 2/5/09, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
From: Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Codes comparison
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009, 2:27 AM

Your English requires no excuse.  It is probably better than MY English and decidedly better than my Spanish.  I would urge you to purchase not only the IBC 2006 but also the ASCE 7-05.

Some of the most fundamental differences are in the seismic and wind provisions.  As such, the seismic provisions of the IBC and ASCE 7 have evolved from the NEHRP Provisions.  There are many helpful documents that will provide seismic design guidance at: http://www.bssconline.org/

The starting point of the seismic section is the use of the Ss and S1 values to define the ground shaking.  Some of the values you will need for South America are contained in the UFC 3-310-01.
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_310_01.pdf

I hope that you find this helpful.

Regards, Harold Sprague