From: Paul Feather <PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net>
Subject: RE: ACI 530 R=1.5
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009, 8:35 AM

ACI 530 does not set or establish R factors.  There are only two possible explanations that I am aware of: first if using strength design there is a provision for maximum area of flexural tensile reinforcement (3.3.3.5) where M/Vd greater or less than 1 and IF the design used an R of less than or greater than 1.5 is a trigger for additional design requirements.  This is not an R factor limitation, just a trigger for other provisions.  Second would be if they are somehow mis-interpreting the shear force required of 1.5V in ASD design, but this is an IBC requirement and not in ACI 530 either.

I would ask the Plan reviewer to specify which code provision he / she is referencing with his comment.

Paul Feather PE, SE