Plotting pdf

I have an HP Designjet 200 (C3181A).  Since getting Acrobat reader version 8 I have had trouble plotting.

1)  I have noticed that 200KB pdf files are inflating to 10MB ????

2)  Shaded parts get messed up.

3)  Plotted image layout goes crazy sometimes.

4)  Usually get "error" message on plotter and print queue and the plotter hangs.

5)  I manage to get the odd pdf image to plot correctly.

Acrobat, customer service, of course, hasn't a clue why the problem, and I'm so in the dark ages with hardware that they probably don't want to help anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas for a techy retard.

Victoria, BC
Canada