Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Valley Rafters[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
- Subject: Valley Rafters
- From: ENGRLAINES(--nospam--at)aol.com
- Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 22:23:24 EST
An architect client asked me to answer a building official's request to verify the strength of a valley rafter (or beam) in a wood roof. The architect specified a valley rafter 2" deeper than the rafters (as usual), but this time he is being challenged to prove it. I analyzed it as a simple beam taking half the tributary load from the jack rafters framing into it and it is in fact way off! The architect maintains that he and everyone he knows have always spec'd 2" deeper for decades with no failures or even challenges. He even showed me text books and other reference books with this recommendation. Am I missing something?
Charles O. Laines, S.E.
LAINES ASSOCIATES, LONG BEACH, CA
Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
- Prev by Subject: Use of Sds fior Elements of Buildings
- Next by Subject: Re: Valley Rafters
- Previous by thread: RE: Plotting pdf
- Next by thread: Re: Valley Rafters