Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Swimming Pools

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Refer to ACI 350 for sanitary structures (or any water restraining structures) The requirements for shrinkage reinforcement to control cracking are more stringent than those in ACI 318

Roger Davis

--- On Thu, 1/29/09, Thor Tandy <vicpeng(--nospam--at)> wrote:
From: Thor Tandy <vicpeng(--nospam--at)>
Subject: Swimming Pools
To: "SEAINT" <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 10:40 AM

I'm doing a small residential pool (about 35'x24' sloping bottom from 4' to 9').  It's been awhile since I last did a fluid containing structure.  Is ACI 315 the correct standard or does anyone know an accessible detailing reference?  The primary structural design is not the issue.  I've usually taken care of crack mitigation and detailed accordingly but I might have forgotten something secondary but important.
Is it common/rare to design the top edge apron as supporting the walls, or should I stick with cantilevered walls?
Since it's in-ground, I'm assuming seismic is not an issue ...?
Any other advice?

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE
Victoria, BC