Diaphragm and Framed Dormers

I am working on a proposal.  Not too many of them coming through this part of the country lately.  Anyway, at a portion of the structure (this portion is about 50’ x 80’) the roof diaphragm, 8:12 pitch with the main ridge parallel to the 80’ dimension.  The main roof diaphragm is interrupted by several framed dormers in line with each other.  If the plan “footprint” of the dormers are not included in the roof diaphragm there isn’t much roof diaphragm left between the dormers for shear transfer to the  exterior shear walls below.  The pitch of the dormer roofs are also 8:12.  The ridge of the dormers are perpendicular to the 8’ dimension of the portion of the building in question.  Can the dormer roof sheathing be considered a part of the roof diaphragm for transferring shear loads to the walls when the lateral load is parallel to the 80’ dimension.  I have run across this before, but not to this extent.  I have always had enough sheathing between dormers to transfer the diaphragm loads to the shear walls.

The office could really use this project at this time, so I am trying to really look at the time that may be involved in the design.  If I can use the dormer sheathing for diaphragm capacity when the lateral load is parallel to the 80’ direction (perpendicular to the dormer ridge) then the design will be greatly simplified.

Thanks for the help.

Joe Grill