Re: Saw Cut joints in concrete walls

In a message dated 2/11/09 10:50:52 AM, PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net writes:
I have seen vertical shrinkage cracks 5 inches away from a sawcut.

One of my secret little chuckles (I'm easily entertained) is seeing cracks in walls or slabs RIGHT BESIDE a troweled or other "shrinkage" joint.  It's SO common.  (Also, notice how little pointed bits of sidewalk slabs tend to break off, as we know they will.  And how embedded railing posts, or even small holes, attract cracks.)

OTOH I once provided TWICE the code-minimum wall rebar, just to see if it would prevent shrinkage cracking.  It didn't.

And another time the contractor accidentally omitted the joints in two ballroom floor slabs.  The large one didn't crack at all; the small one did.  Go figure!

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

Nothing says I love you like flowers! Find a florist near you now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)