RE: DOS to Windows Printing Problem

We had to deal with this when I worked for a former employer.  You have to share the printer (even if you’re not on a network), then use the “net use” command from a DOS command prompt to assign the LPT1 port (or whatever port your software sends print data to) to the shared printer.  I don’t recall the exact syntax, but Google for “dos print net use”, and you should be able to find some instructions on the Microsoft knowledge base or somewhere else.

Hope that helps.

-- Joel

From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 1:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: DOS to Windows Printing Problem

Fellow engineers,

        I've just replaced my old Epson EPL 7000 printer (which prints from the parallel port) with a new HP LaserJet 1018 printer (which prints from a UPS hub) for reasons of toner cost and availability for the old printer.  I am using Windows XP Professional as an operating system.

        My problem is that I am also using a DOS based spreadsheet (PlanPerfect version 5) winch is compatible with DOS based WordPerfect version 5 as far as exchanging information is concerned; and I can not get either program to print directly to the new printer.  The printer does work with newer programs.

        I can export PlanPerfect spreadsheets to WordPerfect 5 and on to WordPerfect 10 with some reformatting required.  I can also export to Lotus 123 and on to Excel with some reformatting required.  I would rather find a way to print directly.  Rewriting the PlanPerfect spreadsheets in Lotus or Excel is a job that would take weeks, which I do not want to spend in this effort.

        Any ideas?

H. Daryl Richardson

NOTICE:
This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the above address and delete it from your computer system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone. The content of the message and or attachments may not reflect the view and opinions of the originating company or any party it is representing.