RE: Sole Plate to Raised Wood Diaphragm Shear Transfer

Michel,
I am not familiar any longer with the L.A. City code or any changes to the
L.A. Code over the current state code. However, is there no longer a default
connection of wall plate to blocking between floor joists or to 4x or 6x rim
joists that allow for a default nailing for the sill plate at 16d Common's
at 4" o.c. staggered? In previous codes a 16d in shear was worth
approximately 116-lbs if my memory serves me (possibly more). At 4" on
center staggered there would be 2" spacing between nails in alternating rows
as maximum distance or six nails per foot - creating shear in excess of 600
lbs per foot. Depending on the required actual shear, and whether two lines
or one (300 plf) were nailed the shear transfer down to the cripple wall or
mud sill on concrete below the joists would require one or two A-35F or the
new equivalent for these (L-50?) per block to side of mudsill.

I haven't designed a new home for so long (especially one on a raised floor)
that I have lost touch with the requirements or any changes in the new code
that are relevant. The important issue is to transfer the shear down to the
foundation. Three high load shear walls may be sufficient still to force a
continuous sill plate to transfer the overall shear in that line with only
one clip placed at 12-16 inches on center.

Hope I understood the question correctly. Please do not tell me that we no
longer follow standard old school structural physics in the performance of
residential structures. I'll be forever floored (sorry for the pun) after
having lost all of my knowledge at the young age of 59 :>)

Regards,

Dennis