Re: will there be a change in ASCE 7-05 once the ICC 2009 code is approved?

Dennis,

Ben dealt with the issue pretty well, but I will supplement some...my need
for my fingers to do something.

I am a corresponding member of the ASCE 7 Seismic Subcommitte.
Unfortunately, due to my medical stuff, I have not really been
participating or even keeping up with what is going on this cycle.  I have
a ton of messages notifying me of the online updates to the Seismic
subcommittee "eRoom" information.  Now, that I am past the transplant and
seem to be making good progress on the recovery, I might finally be up to
trying to catch up.  We will see.

Thus, while I cannot comment on specifics of the current ASCE 7 cycles
proposed changes, I can comment on the overall process.

As Ben noted, ASCE 7 is kind of a "feeder" into the IBC.  The basic process
is that the NEHRP process is kind of the "research" level, where "new"
things are meant to be explored and developed.  From there, they go to the
ASCE Seismic Subcommittee to be implemented in code form in ASCE 7.  And
finally, IBC will then generally adopt what is in ASCE 7 by reference for
inclusion in the IBC (and IRC) model building codes.

That is the "simple" view.  In reality, it can get a bit more messy.
First, the NEHRP process also happens to be (by Executive Order) the
"minimum seismic design level" for Federal Buildings.  As a result, it
tends to also need to have some sort of code like part to it.  In theory,
this is supposed to nominally by a reference to ASCE 7 these days, but that
may not always be the case.  But that does not really matter to most
engineers, unless you do Federal Buildings or care about the NEHRP process.

The mess that tends to effect the likes of you and me is the IBC adoption.
In theory, the preference is to have ASCE 7 have the seismic stuff in it
and IBC just adopts by reference what is in the ASCE 7.  However, since the
IBC process is a seperate "political" process and some people are unable to
get things they want through the ASCE ANSI consensus process, they will
then use the IBC process to "modify" (or out right replace) what comes
through the ASCE process.  Thus, there are "modifications" that will appear
in the IBC.  If everything goes "as planned", then the IBC would nominally
say "see ASCE 7 for seismic stuff".  In reality, it does not come out that
way.

Now, as Ben mentioned, ASCE 7 has gone to a 6 year cycle (it is 5 years
this time around to get them on the "right" time "slot").  As a result, the
next ASCE 7 will be in 2010.  This will be AFTER the 2009 IBC is done
(actually, the 2009 IBC has nominally been done for awhile).  As such, the
2009 IBC will still nominally be based on the 2005 ASCE 7.  I am sure there
are some "modification" to the ASCE 7-05 that have been done as part of the
2009 IBC, but I am not familiar with what they are (Ben might know).  To my
knowledge, there is nothing major.  And there should be no need to get a
new ASCE 7 until after the 2012 IBC become effective.

Now, I should note that the "real" next ASCE 7 will be effectively an 2011
ASCE 7.  Their plan is to have a 2010 version done that can then be used by
the various material standards (ACI 318, the MSJC, etc) to complete their
work on their standards, which many tend to fall on a cycle that results in
a 2011 document and then ASCE 7 will issues a "revised" 2010 ASCE 7 with
any slight modifications that they need to coordinate with the material
standards.  And nominally speaking, all standards adopted by the IBC tend
to need to be done one year before the IBC is done.  This allows the IBC
process to have an "official, done" document that they can be reviewing,
voting on, and holding hearings on during their process.  This is why you
tend to see ACI 318 be a 2011 as well as the MSJC (masonry code).  AISC and
the NDS don't tend to follow preset schedules...they just update when they
feel there is a need.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI