From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
Subject: Ventilate stud spaces in earthquake retrofits?
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

--part1_d54.466111cd.36c9dd11_boundary

Hello all,

I'm faced with a quandary concerning ventilation of the stud spaces when
installing plywood sheathing on the interior side of wood stud exterior walls of
garages to improve their earthquake strength/safety.

I'm not talking about the exterior walls of crawl spaces, where it is
standard practice (around here) to provide holes in the plywood sheathing near the
top and bottom of each space, to allow for air circulation within the stud space
and thus prevent possible buildup of moisture which could damage the wood
framing.   I understand that such moisture buildup may occur in sealed spaces due
to temperature cycling, etc., and thus would occur only in exterior walls.
I see this situation as a smaller version of the need to ventilate crawl
spaces to prevent moisture buildup for the same reason.

I'm talking here about the exterior walls of garages integral with a
residence, which must have drywall for fire protection and cannot have holes in the
drywall and plywood sheathing.   These spaces are not conditioned and normally
their exterior walls would not be insulated.

My usual practice is to specify ventilation holes in the new plywood
sheathing of all exterior walls, "unless the wall is insulated and has a vapor
barrier" (on the interior side).   I have encountered little resistance to this
because it usually involves only one wall, costs little, and improves the "climate"
in the garage to some degree.

But now I have a situation where we'd *really* like to know whether this is
necessary, or even desirable.   I know little of the physics of this
nonstructural condition, basing my recommendations for this aspect on "hearsay" over the
years, and a couple of more formal recommendations.   I image it depends
quite a bit on the local climate.   Here in the (San Francisco) Bay Area we have a
very mild climate, but a very large earthquake threat, so retrofitting walls
with plywood, etc., is very common, and highly recommended for practically all
older homes.

TIA for any advice/guidance anyone can provide.   I'm counting on y'all!   ;)

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA