Re: Sole Plate >>>> (Sta.Monica)

In a message dated 2/16/09 8:29:05 PM, sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com writes:
Regarding cities making their own rules, I believe it has been the case for many years that each local agency may and do modify the Code as they wish to make things more stringent or less stringent depending on their experience or views of hazards or political views of hazards or other local matters.

Stan,

That's the "party line," which assumes honesty and integrity and disinterest among all concerned, and I agree that it is *often* the case.  [Actually I didn't think the locals could make things less stringent, only more stringent.]

OTOH there's the situations, that I've only heard about from afar, of buy-offs, etc., such as the long ago situation wherein the locally-prominent Philadelphia masonry contractor -- who just happened to be the father of Pricess Grace, of "High Noon" fame -- threw his weight around to maintain the code requirement for masonry back-up behind curtain walls on high rises, solely for his own benefit.

Then there's the little Kingdoms (building departments) where a little Napoleon runs the show as he likes, to satisfy his own ego.

Again, I'm not saying this is common, just that it's possible, has happened, and results in a nation with a "million" sets of rules for buildings.  No wonder we don't have a rational construction industry.

And I recognize the other extreme situation, a national building department [Bill would love this!] that sends out edicts demanding obedience without recognizing local conditions at all.

I don't know where the happy medium is.  Maybe we're in it, but it is frustrating to have different sets of rules for every little town up and down the East Bay (at least in some regards).

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how to find them. Start with AOL Personals. (http://personals.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntuslove00000002)