Re: ASCE 7 Section 12.2.5.6

maybe it's for an airplane hangar...  Can the main structure resist the loading from the addition?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Bill Allen <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net> wrote:

It's an addition; the OMF would be installed on the short side of a rectangle. So, a three sided box wouldn't work. I'm aware of the intent of this exception, but the "35 feet above the base" verbiage seems to leave an opening my for my application.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: David Topete [mailto:d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ASCE 7 Section 12.2.5.6

My understanding is that no, you would not be able to use OMF.  Are you trying to use masonry on 3 sides, and OMF at a storefront?  I would do a 3-sided box, or use the frame on the open front, but the drift would have to be somewhat compatible with the masonry walls.  Say no more than 3x the drift of masonry...

i believe the intent of the provision you noted is for a metal storage building, but i could also be way off....