RE: ASCE 7 Section 12.2.5.6

Bill,

I believe an OMF is acceptable based on what Section 12.2.5.6 "implies." You have no walls higher than 35' so the weight limit doesn't apply, and I assume the roof dead load is 20 psf or less. Why couldn't you use an OMF?

Larry Hauer S.E.

From: t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: ASCE 7 Section 12.2.5.6
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:33:44 -0800

If I have a one story building (h < 25 ft.) in Seismic Design Category D consisting of masonry exterior walls and a wood roof (< 20 PSF DL), can I use an OMF? The last sentence says I cannot have exterior walls weighing more than 20 PSF 35 feet above the base, but I have no walls 35 feet above the base. There may be a mezzanine in this area but the OMF would still be one story. The wall above the OMF would probably be a wood framed shear wall.

Table 12.2-1 says OMFs are NP, but footnote h leads me to section 12.2.5.6.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers