ASCE 7-05: Direction of Loading (12.5)

This section has me almost totally confused. I'm seeking wisdom from the Commentary, and also from the FEMA 450-1/2003, but so far the fog is not lifting.

Specifically, since I've got SDC "D," I seem to have to follow the requirements of 12.5.1 through 12.5.3, in addition to 12.5.4. But this bit about "Orthogonal Combination" vs. "Simultaneous Application of Orthogonal Ground Motion" in 12.5.3 is just right over my head.

Then in 12.5.4, it goes into more gobbledy-goop about "20% of the axial design strength," blah-blah-blah. Can anyone shed any light whatsoever?