Re: Remove from list

Title: Re: Remove from list
To me, all “good politicians” (i.e. Those that get elected and continue to get re-elected) promise ice cream.  The difference between a Republican and Democrat are the flavors of ice cream that they offer the people.  And for those to the right of me that disagree, I point out the last 8 years, during which the Republicans controlled the whole kit and caboodle for much of the time.  They were not to interested in feed and cleaning up after the cow either.  Sure, they liked to give tax breaks (there is some nice ice cream for you), but they did not really cut spending overall one little bit.  They did cut spending on things THEY don’t like, but they also spent a crap load on things that THEY did like (like a money pit called Iraq).  And now the Republicans want us to believe that they again are the party of “fiscal conservativism” and “fiscal responsibility”.  Sorry, no sale here.

And as to notion of blame for the whole mess that Republicans warned Democrats...maybe that is true. But, then if they “knew” about the problems, then why did they not do something about it.  The notion of blaming ANYONE side for this mess is just plain stupid.  Just as it was stupid to blame all the bad stuff about Katrina on Bush.  I dislike Bush...I REALLY dislike Bush...I think he was the worst President we have ever had.  But, he was also a major league scap goat on Katrina.  His administrations response was certainly MUCH less than stellar and Bush himself did a few REALLY stupid things from a perception point of view, but for me, there is LOTS of blame to go around and that includes the people of New Orleans.  As engineers, we should all know that they were playing with fire by living in what essentially amounted to a bowl that was below sea level on a coast that could get hit by a hurricane.  It was purely a matter of time before New Orleans got toasted by direct hit by a significant hurricane.

But, then everyone likes their ice cream and don’t think about the things needed to get the ice cream nor the potential consequences of eating the ice cream.  We all like believe out ice cream never costs us anything, whether directly or indirectly.

And now I will return to shutting up about politics, eh, ice cream (not to mention it is making me hungry for some ice cream even though it is cold out and we just got some snow).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI