ASCE 7-05: Ice Loads Due To Freezing Rain (Chapter 10)

I have been reading up on this, realizing that it is probably pertinent to all our industrial / refining stuff we do, since we've got a lot of bare steel frame structures sitting around outside.

My specific question is regarding bar grating.

Even in the South, Figure 10-2 shows between 0.25 and 0.75 in of "uniform ice thickness due to freezing rain." If you have the typical 1-1/4" x 3/16" bar grating with bars spaced at 1-3/6", the gap between the bars will just about be closed, completely filled with ice. That would be an additional dead load of something like 8 or 9 psf to the structure. For some extensive platforms that's gonna be a LOT of weight!

Am I looking at this right, or is there some other way I should consider it?

Thanks.