DE-COUPLE CONCRETE SHEAR WALLS AT CORES

>From Tejas Ins <Tejas_ins(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject DE-COUPLE CONCRETE SHEAR WALLS AT CORES

C- and L-shaped concrete shearwall cores for stairs or elevators typically attract an unfair amount of seismic load compared to walls of similar heights+lengths+thickness.  I have found that un-coupling them with a full-height gap at corners, simplifies the shear-distribution and removes stress concentrations.  On the other hand, it tends to increase drift, requires more boundary element at the de-coupled corners, and also increases shears in footings/pilecaps or grade beams.
Has anyone actually done this on real-life projects?  If yes, are there other related issues or design checks to be aware of.

Thank you for your comments.
Best Regards,
Tejas.