Re: Concrete Bench With Wall

Rick,

You might look at some of the headed rebar applications from HRC, Dywidag, or Lenton.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

<seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
02/26/2009 08:56 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Concrete Bench With Wall

I've been asked to design a retaining wall with a built-in bench.  The wall
retains about 6 feet of soil.  The bench wants to be on the low side of the
wall.  The architect would like to cantilever the bench out from the face
of wall.

I'm looking at this two ways. One way would be to form the seat with the
wall and pour it together monolithic.  I haven't done ornamental type work.
I see this as a real pain to form the wall and seat together.  Also, the
seat would need a top surface form and the question I have is how to assure
the seat part of the formwork was filled sufficiently with concrete while
pouring.  I thought about putting a construction joint in the wall at the
top of the seat elevation.  I don't like the idea of two separate pours.
Any ideas as to how to detail a monolithic seat and wall?

My other though is to pour the wall separate and then pour the seat.  This
is back to 2 pours.  The challenge I see is how to develop the bars
sticking out for the seat.  I need full moment capacity but I do not have
enough wall to develop the bar by the time it reaches the face of wall.
Any ideas as to how to get a full bar developed in the wall?  If there was
no bench I could use an 8" thick wall.  I could justify going to 12" thick
if I needed it. This still doesn't develop a hooked #4 bar with adequate
cover.

Thanks for your insight.

Rich

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp