Fw: ASCE-7 Ice Loads - Retraction

Jim,

I might take back part of what I said below.  After looking at this a little closer I could not find any "general" reference in IBC that invokes ASCE 7 for loadings.  Each load such as dead load, live load, etc. references ASCE 7 separately.  I could not find any reference in the IBC that deals with ICE loading or ICE load combination as shown in ASCE 7 Chapters 2 and 10.  With that said, I guess ICE loading would then only be invoked by state, local, or client requirements.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/AV/FD/FluorCorp on 02/26/2009 10:00 AM -----
Tom Hunt
02/25/2009 09:08 AM
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: ASCE-7 Ice LoadsLink

Jim,

The IBC uses ASCE 7 for all the loads and only jumps in where it wants to take exception to or add to ASCE 7.  If the IBC does not add or change the ice load requirements then you need to follow what ever is in ASCE 7.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Jim Lutz" <Jim.Lutz(--nospam--at)bhcconsultants.com>
02/25/2009 08:45 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
ASCE-7 Ice Loads

Am I missing something, or does the 2006 IBC say nothing about ice loads? Sometimes Chapter 16 refers to ASCE 7 as the source for load determination and sometimes it doesn’t. If ice loads are important enough to be in ASCE 7, why aren’t they in the IBC?

Jim Lutz, PE, SE

Senior Structural Engineer

1601 5th Avenue, Suite 500

Seattle, WA  98101