Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
ICF Shear Wall in SDC C[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: ICF Shear Wall in SDC C
- From: "Joseph R. Grill" <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
- Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:24:34 -0700
I am working on a residence in a SDC C using an ICF concrete form which gives a 6” thick concrete wall. IBC 2006 says that seismic design is not required in a SDC C. ASCE 7-05 says that a plain concrete shear wall is not allowed in a SDC C ( a seismic requirement) and an “ordinary reinforced structural wall” would be required. It appears that most if not all the shear walls will be subject to a shear Vu<phiVc/2. The IRC allows horizontal reinforcing less than the .0020 Ag required in chapter 11 of the ACI for ICF walls.
My thought boils down to this. Since seismic design is not required for a residence in a SDC C the minimum horizontal reinforcing requirements of ACI chapter 11 are not required, and I can use (if the numbers work out for applied shear to the walls) the minimum reinforcing allowed by the IRC, which I think is #4@48” o.c. if the shear Vu does turn out to be less than phi Vc/2.
Joseph R. Grill, PE
Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC
- Prev by Subject: Ice loads
- Next by Subject: Re: ICF Shear Wall in SDC C
- Previous by thread: Fw: ASCE-7 Ice Loads - Retraction
- Next by thread: Re: ICF Shear Wall in SDC C