Re: ICF Shear Wall in SDC C

Forgive me as I don't have my codes with me, so I am going from memory.

The Vu<phi*Vc/2 to my knowledge is NOT a seismic requirement, but rather a
general shear requirement.  Thus, to my knowledge, it applies to ALL
reinforced concrete elements in shear whether there is seismic or not as
long as it is an "engineered" solution (i.e. per IBC/ACI 318).  The IRC is
a prescriptive code and generally speaking ACI 318 does not really apply.

Thus, if you design it per the IBC, then you are into the ACI 318
requirements, which would include he Vu<phi*Vc/2 bit.  If you design per
the IRC, then you would not need to follow any ACI 318 provisions unless
they are specifically called for in the IRC.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:24:34 -0700, "Joseph R. Grill"
<jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net> wrote:
> I am working on a residence in a SDC C using an ICF concrete form which
> gives a 6" thick concrete wall.  IBC 2006 says that seismic design is not
> required in a SDC C.  ASCE 7-05 says that a plain concrete shear wall is
> not
> allowed in a SDC C ( a seismic requirement) and an "ordinary reinforced
> structural wall" would be required.  It appears that most if not all the
> shear walls will be subject to a shear Vu<phiVc/2.  The IRC allows
> horizontal reinforcing less than the .0020 Ag required in chapter 11 of
the
> ACI for ICF walls.
>

> My thought boils down to this.  Since seismic design is not required for
> residence in a SDC C the minimum horizontal reinforcing requirements of
ACI