Re: IT question

I run XP and had a similar problem with Internet Explorer. It had some sort of virus/malware and would connect to the Internet and play ads. I brought up task manager and could see iexplore.exe running. I would cancel the process, but it would start up again. I tried to uninstall Internet Explorer but wasn't sure if it worked. I ended up finding all copies of iexplore.exe and renamed them. I installed AVG (was running Norton) and reinstalled Internet Explorer. I am not sure what got through my system, but Norton didn't catch it. I am not sure what percentage of the system resources were being used, but I was spooked when my computer would start playing ads in the background.

Alexander Bausk wrote:
Thor,

a virus it is, some kind of a spyware. See for example:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread79222.html
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplorer/

There are different spyware and trojan codes that mimick the iexplore process.

I suggest downloading a free antivirus scanner like DrWeb CureIt:
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
And scanning your system repeatedly.

For those with svchost.exe, it is infected, too. I don't remember what
kind of virus it is (looks like Kido/Conficker) but you should get rid
of it. It usually comes on flash drives or via local network. It is
able to use your computer as a zombie to attack servers via the
internet.
The Kido pandemic is a current nightmare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

If it is a home PC, I'd simply reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS
if I were you.
The mentioned utility can clean up your hard drive but some of these
viruses irreversibly corrupt the system registry (unless you have a PC
geek friend handy to repair it).

Regards, Alex.