From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: IT question

I run XP and had a similar problem with Internet Explorer.  It had some
sort of virus/malware and would connect to the Internet and play ads.  I
brought up task manager and could see iexplore.exe running.  I would
cancel the process, but it would start up again.  I tried to uninstall
Internet Explorer but wasn't sure if it worked.  I ended up finding all
copies of iexplore.exe and renamed them.  I installed AVG (was running
Norton) and reinstalled Internet Explorer.  I am not sure what got
through my system, but Norton didn't catch it.  I am not sure what
percentage of the system resources were being used, but I was spooked
when my computer would start playing ads in the background.

Alexander Bausk wrote:
> Thor,
>
> a virus it is, some kind of a spyware. See for example:
> http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread79222.html
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/iexplorer/
>
> There are different spyware and trojan codes that mimick the iexplore
process.

> I suggest downloading a free antivirus scanner like DrWeb CureIt:
> http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
> And scanning your system repeatedly.
>
> For those with svchost.exe, it is infected, too. I don't remember what
> kind of virus it is (looks like Kido/Conficker) but you should get rid
> of it. It usually comes on flash drives or via local network. It is
> able to use your computer as a zombie to attack servers via the
> internet.
> The Kido pandemic is a current nightmare:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker
>
> If it is a home PC, I'd simply reformat the HDD and reinstall the OS
> if I were you.
> The mentioned utility can clean up your hard drive but some of these
> viruses irreversibly corrupt the system registry (unless you have a PC
> geek friend handy to repair it).
>
> Regards, Alex.
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:13 AM,  <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> I had pretty similar experience today. IE was locking up on a regular
basis.
>> I received an error message concerning problems with Adobe Flash. Iwent
>> Adobe website and uninstalled then reinstalled a newer version of Flash
per
>> their instructions. I then talked to IT with my internet provider who had
me
>> do what Thor suggested, sort of. Went to IE Tools/Options/Advanced then
>> "Reset". I lost some ad ons, but not "Favorites". Seems to be fine now.
IE
>> was locking up for some time before I got the message about Flash. I did
>> reinstall Flash before the reset so I can't say if Flash was involved or
>> not.
>> Joe Grill

>> ________________________________
>> From: "Thor Tandy"
>> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:36:24 -0800
>> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>> Subject: RE: IT question
>>
>> Thank you.  I'll give it a whirl later tonight.
>>
>> Thor

(Tools  ->
>> Options  --> Mail Format)
>> 3.  Start Outlook in safe mode, see if you experience the same problem.
>> (Start  -->  Run --> "outlook / safe", or hold down the Ctrl key while
you
>> start Outlook).
>>
>> If the safe mode solves the problem, while you are in safe mode, go
>> to"Help", "About", and click on "Disabled Items", and hopefully that will
>> help you to narrow down the suspects.
>>
>> If all these don't work, you can try to run "Hijackthis" from Trend
Micro,
>> while you have IE and Outlook running.  You should be able find some
>> resources online to help you deciphering the log.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> YI YANG, S.E.

IExplorer