Re: Standing Seam Metal Roofing Wind Uplift Calculations

In my terminology:
Architectural panels are mounted on a substrate such as plywood or closely
spaced strapping with fastener clips every 12" - 24" +/-.
Structural panels are self-supporting, usually multi-span between
purlins/girts at 5' - 6' +/-.
Typically continuous cold-formed from coil but possibly formed from sheet.

Numerical analysis per AISI is a good start point for regular panels.
Watching a gage-thickness metal panel assembly during wind load tests really
makes one wonder how the idealized analysis even comes close. Discard any
thoughts of small deformations.

I conducted some verification tests on a 16" steel panel profile (vertical
ribs topped by a folded male-female seam) several years ago and the side
seams came undone like a zipper at low up-lift test pressures (AISI analysis
does not address this failure mode). It raised a few eyebrows because it
was/is a popular structural panel.

Paul