Re: Re-grading of Lumber

Talk about disaster!

Best is to contact the Grading Agencies.

Farzin S. Rahbar, SE
David C. Weiss Structural Engineer & Associates, Inc.
(818) 227-8040 Ex. 13 Fax: (818) 227-8041

In a message dated 3/4/2009 12:32:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, oshin(--nospam--at)sdgseinc.com writes:
Dear List Members,

I have a residential project under construction where the framing was
sprayed with wood preservative. Subsequently, the preservative had to be
removed by sand blasting and grinding. As a result, all framing members now
have reduced cross sections.

Obviously, the framing has to be checked for the reduced section capacity,
but is it mandated or required in any grading rules or in the IBC that the
lumber has to be re-graded. The building official is requiring that each
piece of framing be re-graded by a grading agency.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org