Re: Moxie and impermeabilising concrete

Thanks Harold.  So I won't hang around by my fingernails waiting for the perfect product.  How about being impermeable enough to eliminate the vapor barrier under a slab-on-grade ?  They claim some impressive figures on their tests, but I haven't yet compared those figures to see if they really are impressive.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Get the testing per NCHRP 244 to tell the wheat from the chaff.  If you are expecting it to be impermeable, you will be disappointed.  Test the penetration (Pre and Post application) with a Rilum Tube test.  The penetration is minimal no matter what.  There is also an AASHTO test which requires abrasion, but you will not find a product that is very effective.  You will have to recoat about every 3 to 5 years depending on the concrete and its resistance to abrasion.  The problem is that the harder the concrete the more it cracks.

The Canadians do a lot of testing with coatings on concrete.

If you find that perfect product, let me know.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:59:35 -0500
Subject: Moxie and impermeabilising concrete
From: kbofoz(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

There is some interesting info from Moxie about impermeabilising concrete at   http://www.moxie-intl.com/

Anyone had any experience with these products?  Silicone-based - are they similar to Xypex?

I'd love to find a product that works to protect parking decks from de-icing salts without a membrane, avoiding the maintenance problems and the cost.

Kevin

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works.