RE: Haunch Moment Connetion Design Reference

I did a paper on this college – there really isn’t a whole lot out there that isn’t more than 50 years dated… but according to one of my later college books ASCE manual 41 page 167-186 (not certain of the year) should have some of this info.  I haven’t seen this for myself, so I can’t attest to the information, but I figure it could help, and could have some further references for you.

From: Sushil Chauhan [mailto:sxchauhan(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Haunch Moment Connetion Design Reference

Could you please publish following message on the mailing list.

We have been arguing here whether Chapter 6 of AISC Design Guide 12 can be used for regular projects (non-retrofit) in non-seismic zones for designing Haunch Moment Connections. Could you please help on following items:

1)       Can we use the force transfer model assumed in Chapter 6 of ASIC Design Guide 12 for elastic design also? I mean instead of using Vpd , Mpd can we use actual factored moments and shears ? To me it appears reasonable approach, but I might be wrong.

2)       Could you please tell 2-3 good references for design of Haunch Moment Connections? In our case Haunch web is welded to bottom flange of Beam and bolted with end plate on Column flange.

I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Sushil