RE: Brass Railing

Lmao.  Its actually a high school!

And in response to another comment – the insert idea was among the first… For some reason they aren’t keen on that one either.  Knowing this client, its likely because they have already installed it…

From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint2(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Brass Railing

I suggest that you consider on-site research to determine the typical mounting conditions for brass poles. Although typically in a vertical mount configuration, they tend to see fairly significant lateral loads (typically from centripetal accelerations) and could reasonably be seen as being subject to common levels for in-service loading conditions for most railings.  Note that most places with this type of installation have a cover charge and a two drink minimum, and just remember to get most of your petty cash advance in ones; it will save time having to get change at the bar.

Jordan

Richard Calvert wrote:

I’m trying to provide some calculations for brass railing and posts. However, I’m having a difficult time locating mechanical properties (which are standard for this kind of application) of the material.  Working with the most conservative numbers in the ASTM we find that not even a solid pipe works… the manufacturer prefers to use actual brass as well, as apposed to plated or faux.  Does anyone know a good reference? Or even plain out what the standard grade and properties are for this application?

Thanks,

Richard Calvert, EIT

Project Engineer