Re: Point supported glass design

Yeah. Unfortunately structural engineering FEA programs are very poor at meshing. It's on of those times I wish I had FEMAP or a real mechanical FEA program. Then you can easily run the automesher a couple of times at different sizes and see the stress trends. I spent way more time than I should have messing with the mesh in Advanse to get something I was happy with. On the flip side, though, it's nice to have the integrated code checking in the structural programs. Saves endless hours of data reduction (or data post processing scripting).

Jordan

Gotta be careful with point loads and FEA. point loads are singularities in elasticity theory. The stresses under a point load diverge with decreasing mesh size--best to estimate the contact area and use a pressure loading that gives you the same force.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/