Re: Cold-formed corrugated

I don't believe there are any assemblies of this type that are in the IBC. I think you can design the building using a R=3 if you are in SDC B or C, see ASCE 7-05 Table 12.2-1. You would need some test reports for the allowable shearwall values.

Gordon Goodell wrote:

I have a client who wants to use an “unengineered agricultural building” made of cold-formed steel as most of the envelope for a large woodshop. I have my roof diaphragm problems solved, because it’s being furred out & covered w/ plywood (underside). Does anyone have experience using corrugated metal for shearwalls? It seems like the 4 ½”, 20ga corrugated partition panels supplied with the kit should have a lot of shear resistance if connected properly. If I could prove it, it would be a shame to require wood shearwalls to be built right beside them.

thanks,

Gordon Goodell