Re: Frozen soil = disturbed earth?

Typically the concrete is protected by insulation blankets with heated air blown in. I was at a foundation job in Deadhorse at -20 degrees (F) and they had a movable heated shed that would move along the foundation line allowing the gravel pad that was placed upon the native soil to thaw and allow the foundation to be placed. The concrete would cure in the shed for a few days and then the shed would be moved along and the blankets and heated blown air added for another few days. The gravel pad (2 or more feet) and insulation is added to separate the native frozen soil from the heated building pad. Over time, the building will transmit heat to the permafrost and settlement will occur. To prevent this, air ducts are placed in the gravel pad to circulate cold air in the winter to keep the pad cold enough to prevent thawing of the native soil.

Harold Sprague wrote:
Is the concrete protected from freezing?

Regards, Harold Sprague