Re: Frozen soil = disturbed earth?

Another approach was used in the hangar I designed for NARL, Barrow AK a million years ago, in which the offices were elevated a few feet above the ground on wooden piles frozen into the permafrost) and the floor of the unheated (or minimally heated) hangar itself was humped up three feet in the center, with metal landings mats as the flooring, figuring that it would slowly settle.  I don't know if that has happened as predicted since it was built 40+ years ago.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.,E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 3/23/09 9:31:23 PM, spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com writes:
That is similar to what is done for the pipeline.  They keep the frozen soil frozen.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make meals for Under $10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)