RE: Steel Joist Seat Height

In this area, there are a number of joist manufacturers and to make matter worse, their catalogs do not show the same joist seat depths for some slopes. We’ve done the following:

1.       We call out the Bottom of Deck [BOD] rather than the Top of Steel.

2.       We supply our best guess dimension from the top of the beam or joist girder to the BOD with the note to verify the joist depth with the joist supplier. This will almost always generate an RFI even though the joist supplier is a sub to the steel fabricator.

3.       If we have masonry bearing, we require that all seats, all ends are the same dimension. (We generally have masons that if they get the plate in the right wall, that’s close enough.)

John L. Smart, PE SE

Lindsey & Ritter, Inc.

401 East Jane Street

Valdosta, GA 31601-4062