From: Joseph R. Grill [mailto:jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 4:44 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Minimum Reinforcing in CMU

I am doing a deep  basement wall for a residence in a SDC C.  It appears that the minimum reinforcing of .0020 with .0007 minimum only comes into play when you are in an SDC D.  The basement is a bit much for an 8” CMU wall and the next size in this area that is used is 12” CMU.  I only need #5’s at 24” o.c. in the 12” CMU which is a little less that the .0013 that would be required for the principle reinforcing.  I’m pretty sure I’m o.k. since I am not in an SDC D and in addition I don’t even need to consider seismic for a residence in an SDC C.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, PE

email: VVEng(--nospam--at)cableone.net