Re: CHINESE STEEL

Rick is exactly correct although I believe DSA rephrased the language from "Chinese Steel" to "Steel" on the HSS seam weld. Not sure if they've removed the requirement, this was last year when this was all going on they were sending out bullitens

-gm

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Rick <mohr2circle(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Bill

There has been issues with the seam welding on HSS members, and mis-identification of high strength bolts.

All HSS steel from China, that is used as part of a SCBF or OCBF, or highly loaded axially, has been subjected to ultrasonic weld verification, as an added Test and Inspection line item. DSA has had this requirement, but relaxed it recently, but I am not aware the issue was resolved.

Rick

--- On Tue, 3/31/09, bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> wrote:
From: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
Subject: CHINESE STEEL
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 7:21 AM

We've got an overseas job (so "Buy American" isn't an issue) where they're contemplating using structural steel from the Peoples' Republic of China.
I'd like to know if anyone has any direct or indirect experience with use of Chinese-made steel. And please, I'm not looking for hearsay (heck, I could contribute that myself), but actual anecdotal evidence of problems (or sucesses) with its use. Specific details would be a plus.
I know that a lot of foreign-made steel was problematic in the past, and I also know that the PRC hasn't got the best rep regarding quality control for a wide range of manufactured goods in the very recent past.
But what I'm looking for is solid information.
Thanks in advance.