From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: California SE question: Essential facilities - cans and pins

CAN's and PIN's are OSHPD requirements that either clarify the code from OSHPD's point of view or are supplemental / more stringent requirements that didn't make it into the code in time. In California, there is the building code, then the building code for Schools and Hospitals which share the most of the same provisions. OSHPD goes one step further having their own section for OSHPD projects in the building code. Then the CAN's and PIN's are their own pubs that take it one step further or are based on lessons learned, office consensus among their engineers, or something else.

-gm