From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 4:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Minimum Reinforcing in CMU

If you are subject to the MJSC (masonry code), then it will kind of depend on which method you use for calcing the wall out...ASD or Strength.  For Strength design, while not a "direct" minimum reinforcement, section 3.3.4.2.2.2 (2005 MSJC) is effectively a minimum reinforcement level.  There is no equivalent in the ASD chapter from what I recall (at least in the 2005 edition).

Otherwise, it would only be if the IBC modified it with something (I still have not gotten around to getting a 2006 IBC) or if you fell under prescriptive requirements of the seismic stuff.

Regards,

Scott

Adrian, MI