From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 6:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: CHINESE STEEL

Bill,
One of my customers insisted on buying Chinese steel so I had to use it.

The yield strength is only 34 ksi (for the steel he was using) so the
savings may not be as good as it looks to the guy just buying on price
alone.  Their W shapes are not the same as North American shapes (or
European also) so you can't compare them on price per pound basis
either.  The publications (that were given to me) on their steel are not
as informative as ours, i.e. no J, Z, Cw, just area, mom of inertia,
section modulus, depth, width and thicknesses.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of their stuff based on personal
experience - too many junky products.  Back in the 70's, Hodgson Custom
Rolling (my brother's company) had a big job rolling a lot of W shapes.

Every so often one these beams would snap and you could hear it in the
office 75 ft away.  The steel came from Canada, the USA, Japan and
occasionally Europe - no Chinese steel then. The fewest number of
breakages were Canadian, then American, then European and Japanese.  I
am sure everybody has improved their steel since then, but I suspect
that the Chinese steel today would be at end of the list.  And Canada
has stopped making wide flanges.
Hope this is helpful.
Gary